The main entrance door holds an important place in your house. According to Vaastu Shastra, not only is it the entry point for the family, but also for energy. It creates the first impression of your house and allows the flow of cosmic energy – the energy that promotes your health, wealth and harmony – inside or outside the house.
Thus, the entrance door should be positioned in a way where it can activate the most beneficial energy. Here are certain rules about the dos and don’ts to regarding the door.
The Direction of Main Entrance
Try keeping your main door either in the north, north-east, east, or west, as they are considered the most auspicious directions. The northeastern direction is considered to be the best place as it allows the morning sunrays, fresh air, and light, to enter through the door. Having door facing south, south-west, north-west (north side), or south-east (east side) directions should be avoided if possible. If not, then a door in the south or south-west can be corrected by using a lead metal pyramid and lead helix. A door in the north-west can be corrected, with a brass pyramid and a brass helix, while a door in the south-east direction can be corrected, by using a copper helix.
Also keep in mind that the main door should be bigger than any other door in the house and should open in a clockwise manner. Having three doors in a line, parallel to the main door, is considered as a serious Vastu defect and should be avoided.
Building a wooden door is considered most auspicious for the main entrance.
Decorating The Area Around Main Door
A neat and clean main entrance will always attract good energy. Do not keep dustbins, broken chairs or stools near the main door and avoid any obstructing things like poles, trees, wires etc.
The door should be attractively designed or complemented with greenery nearby. Decorating it with divine symbols like, Om, swastika, etc is considered auspicious and invites good fortune.Vastu Shastra also emphasizes that the door should be well lit with adequate light and exude a warm welcome.
It is also suggested to have have a threshold – a stripe of stone or wood placed below the entrance of a house – on the front door. It supposedly absorbs negative vibes and allows only positive energy to pass through.
Some More Dos and Don’ts
Never place a mirror opposite the main door as it’ll bounce back energy.
- The Main door should never face any religious place or an abandoned building as it is considered to be inauspicious and also brings in a lot of negative energy in your house.
- A two shuttered main door opening inside and clockwise is auspicious.
- Make sure that main door is noise free while opening or closing.
- The main door should be a bit higher than ground level and the no. of steps leading up to it should be odd.
- Avoid black color for main door.
- Install a name plate on the front door. A beautiful name plate placed outside the front gate invites wealth, prosperity, and happiness.
- At the entrance if you have a naked wall, place a statue or a picture of Ganesha. Since a naked wall represents loneliness, it is a good way to conceal it.